Tuesday, February 16, 2010

One Day and Counting

My first round of Melphalan yesterday afternoon went well and I'm receiving the second round as I type this post. So far, mild nausea is all I can report which is great news! I've received several pre-meds to prevent nausea and they seem to be doing a great job. Apparently the Melphalan can kick in days later and I could experience flu like symptoms, changes to my taste buds, mouth sores and other side effects. Also, the bottoming out of my immune system is expected in the next 10 days just as I experienced after the Cytoxan a few weeks ago.

Tomorrow is the big day! I will be getting my stem cells transplanted/re-infused tomorrow around 8:30 am. For this entire Autologous Stem Cell Process which takes months to prepare for and months to recover from, it is actually the 15-minute re-infusion of the cells which is considered the main event. Seems a bit anti-climactic, doesn't it?

Re-infusion day is considered Day "0" and each day thereafter is Day+1, Day+2, Day+3 etc. Some people consider it a new birthday of sorts. Unless the new birthday comes with very expensive jewelry from my dear husband, I think it will simply remain Re-Infusion Day on our calendar. Although Dave just reminded me that today is Fat Tuesday, so perhaps a trip to New Orleans would be a great way to celebrate Re-Infusion Day next year.

Thanks for your comments. I was happy to see several new people joining the blog including a few of my fellow "Myelomians."

5 comments:

  1. thanks for the update. you are great with you big smile and brave face! i am glad that we got a chance to talk for a few minutes today! you are an inspiration. love you

    ReplyDelete
  2. Susan,

    You have been in my thoughts a lot in the past weeks. Your positive attitude is amazing! Keep up the good work! I hope we will have the chance to speak soon.

    Tara Walker

    ReplyDelete
  3. Julie BarracloughFebruary 16, 2010

    Sus,

    I enjoyed reading your blog. I will keep you in
    my prayers tomorrow morning. Today was not only Fat Tuesday but I believe "Faschnaut Day."
    So make sure Dave actually takes you to New Orleans, and doesn't just try to give you a doughnut in celebration!

    Love,

    Julie

    ReplyDelete
  4. You make me laugh out loud...
    you are an amazing woman Susan!
    again, my thoughts ans prayers are with you.
    luv ya
    Kathi

    ReplyDelete
  5. HI SUSAN:

    SO GLAD YOU ARE HOME AND THIS ORDEAL IS OVER.

    YOU HAVE THE RIGHT ATTITUDE AND VERY BRAVE
    WITH THE LOVE AND SUPPORT FROM DAVE AND FAMILY AND FRIENDS, YOUR A WINNER.
    LOVE AND PRAYERS ALWAYS

    COUSIN MAXINE & EDDIE

    (YOU GO GIRL)

    ReplyDelete