Tuesday, April 13, 2010

One Year

It was one year ago today that I was diagnosed with Multiple Myeloma. April 13, 2009: A day I will never forget. It's amazing how things can change in one year. One year ago, I'd never heard of Myeloma and now I could write a book about it. I would title it "Everything You Never Wanted to Know About Multiple Myeloma." One year ago, I had a grim outlook on the future and now I'm optimistic about the possibility of complete remission. It's been a long and trying year, but one that has brought lots of growth and hope as well.

It's been a year of planning and coordination: researching the disease, creating an action plan, assembling a team of doctors, nurses and caregivers, and constant organizing of schedules for treatments and appointments.

It's been a year of support: from my family, friends, co-workers and even from strangers across the pond! Also from the Myeloma Support Group and the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society.

It's been a year of appreciation and gratitude: for all the people who've supported me, for the excellent care I've received and for the generous health benefits I'm so fortunate to have through my employer.

It's been a year of communication: emails, texts, blog and facebook posts and comments, cards, letters and phone calls.

It's been a year of emotions: tears and fears, smiles and laughter.

It's been a year of love: lots of really big hugs and "I love you's" exchanged with my dear husband, wonderful parents, incredible friends and extended family.

It's been a year of thanks: endless thanks to everyone who helped me through this!

This year-long process ends with my return to work on Monday. I'm looking forward to getting back to a regular routine and learning to live with Myeloma as a new normal.

6 comments:

  1. It's great to read posts like that one. For those just starting their journey with Myeloma stories like yours give hope. Thank you for sharing your journey with the whole world. Oh, and don't work too hard ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so excited to see you back at work next week. I've been thinking about you often and missing your smiling face!

    ReplyDelete
  3. WOW a year! I cannot beleive it, my goodness Susan I'm stunned. What a wonderful post, I have tears in my eyes. You have been so strong! Happy to hear you are going back to work on Monday, take it slow...Love you girl!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sending you lots of loves and prayers as you start work and a "regular routine" tomorrow! You are a stronger person for what you have been through this year and sounds as though you have recieved many blessings in spite of the suffering. You look beautiful in you photo at Easter...I would never mistake you for a Barbie manneguin! I found that asI keep reminding myself "to live in the moment", I realize all that I am truly grateful for. Take care of yourself as you begin work again and start you reentry into the "world". Have a great day! Love,
    Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  5. Can't wait to see what year two brings - year one was so exciting .......................
    don't you think? DD-

    ReplyDelete
  6. Elizabeth in UKApril 22, 2010

    Hi!
    Lorna at the UK myeloma website (www.myeloma.org.uk) mentioned your blog and I have just spent an interesting hour or so reading it from the start.
    I am exactly a year behind you diagnosed with raised IGe levels at the age of 60 (apparently a rare version of myeloma).
    I am just starting on my 4th week of drugs, so it was good to be able to read in detail what the treatments were for you and get a handle on what might be ahead for me.
    Thank you for taking the time to write it all as it happened, to reassure us newbies that diagnosis is not the end but just the beginning of a new journey.
    I am so pleased to see that you are now able to get back to work and resume some of your 'old life' again.
    Elizabeth in UK

    ReplyDelete